Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Reader Request - Alecia: Reincarnation vs. Contacting the Dead

Thanks to Alecia for submitting my first Reader Request! Here was her question:
One thing I have wondered about is the potential conflict caused by the belief in reincarnation and the ability to contact the dead (ancestor guardians, Ouija boards, etc, etc, etc). What are your thoughts on this topic?
I want to preface this by saying this is only my personal belief, YMMV :)

I don't believe that reincarnation is instantaneous. We are given a period of rest between lives to commune with Deity and those who have passed before us, before continuing on to our next life. So, in that time, it is certainly possible to contact the dead, as they have not come back yet.

Additionally, I believe a piece of each soul/spirit remains with the collective Divine with each passing. I'll quote my "101" piece on the subject:
It’s also a matter of personal belief whether new souls are ever created, or if there are always the same number of souls being recycled over and over. I believe it’s a little of both. Just as with Divinity being like drops in the ocean, the same can be said of souls. I believe there is a constant and consistent amount of energy and “God stuff” in the Universe at all times (similar to the Law of Conservation of Energy), but it takes different forms and is parceled out in different ways. So, even if my specific soul learns all it needs to after this particular life and rejoins the whole of Divine Energy, it may then be re-infused into multiple entities later on.
So, since these souls/spirits/energies leave their "signature" on each other/Itself, it is then still possible to connect with that piece that remained even after reincarnation.

Now, is it always ethical or advisable to do these things? That's a matter of personal interpretation. I will admit, I own a (Parker Bros.) Ouija board, and have experimented with it once or twice, but I own it more for novelty than as a tool. I will also add the caution that, with Ouija boards especially, it's important to have safeguards in place, something like casting a Circle. This is because Ouija boards are non-specific; they're open to anyone and anything that might be hanging around or just passing by. It couldn't hurt to have some kind of shield in place and maybe even a banishment procedure in mind, better safe than sorry.

Unrelated to the Request, I have a new blog, Priestess Spirit. My readers here are welcome to follow that as well, if only just to prove my own fallibility.

0 comments: