Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Pagan Music

I've yet to meet a Pagan who doesn't like music, and I'm sure there are times when most of us look specifically for Pagan music. There are a few "old standards" that come up when someone asks after Pagan music, Emerald Rose, Wendy Rule, Gaia Consort. I myself like stuff that's a little "harder" and "darker," some of my favorites being Within Temptation, Inkubus Sukkubus, and my new discovery, Faith and the Muse.

However, I also sometimes find Pagan-like messages and themes in the works of those who are not (publically) Pagan. I call these songs "Paganesque," and my current list can be found past the cut below. (Now with a playlist!)




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


(Click the song titles to view the YouTube video.)

Sabbats:
Samhain - "You Can Still Be Free" - Savage Garden
Yule - "Here Comes the Sun" - The Beatles
Imbolc - "Waiting for the Sun" - The Doors
Beltane - "Tonight is What it Means to be Young" - Fire, Inc./Jim Steinman/"Streets of Fire" movie soundtrack
Midsummer - "Voodoo" - Rusted Root
Fall - "World Coming Down" - Type O Negative

Goddess:
"Gold Dust Woman," "Rhiannon," and "Three Birds of Rhiannon" - Fleetwood Mac
"Mysterious Ways" - U2
"Holly Holy" - Neil Diamond
"The Voice" - "Celtic Woman" group (sung by Lisa Kelly w/Mairead Nesbitt on fiddle)

God:
"My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison (solo)
"Soolaimon/Brother Love" medley (Hot August Night live concert recording) - Neil Diamond (I could only find "Soolaimon" for the play list, so the medley stays up)
"Green Man" - Type O Negative

Ritual Experience:
"Sisters of the Moon" - Fleetwood Mac
"Carry On Dancing" - Savage Garden
"Edge of Heaven" - Ace of Base
"Dancin' in the Moonlight" - King Harvest
"Tango in the Night" - Fleetwood Mac

Other:
"Into the West" - Annie Lennox/"LotR:RotK" movie soundtrack
"American Witch" and "Lords of Salem" - Rob Zombie
"Like a Prayer" - Madonna
"Rocky Mountain High" - John Denver
"Like a Stone" and "I am the Highway" - Audioslave
"Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
"The Christians and the Pagans" - Dar Williams
"Divine" - t.A.T.u.
"Don't Pay the Ferryman" - Chris de Burgh
"Medusa and Hemlock" and "British Fire" - Cradle of Filth

0 comments: